Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Day 5 in Russia has come to a close. It feels like I've been here for a month. A lot has happened already, but mostly just new cultural experiences. Classes have started, they're difficult, but rewarding nonetheless. My speaking skills are gradually getting better, but my reading needs work. Yesterday I busted my finger playing some Russian children's game and had to go to the local "Polyklinika (поликлиника)." It's only a bruised bone, but it hurts like a bitch and my finger is ginormous.

I thought I'd take this opportunity to point out a few "cultural differences" between home and here. Now let's see...

-Don't whistle. Ever. People will glare at you; you're bringing them bad luck....obviously.
-My Russian host mother won't let me outside with wet hair. "This isn't Africa," she says. I'm not really sure what that means.
- Russians LOVE the mullet. Everyone has one: men, women, and children. I'm talking mullets that would make Joe Dirt go, "Dang."
-Don't smile at people you don't know. They'll think you're crazy.
-If you go into a store you damned well better have exact change, or close to it. I'm not exactly sure what they say to me when I don't, but I know it isn't pleasant.
-Don't worry about that guy (Those guys) on the bus grinding up against you more than is necessary or decent. It's crowded...right?
-Eating food takes place whether you want it to or not. If it's time to eat, you're going to eat, come Hell or high water.
-It's totally cool for Russians to drink beer on the streets. In the morning on the way to work, or just strolling about town, they love it. This also goes for public urination.
-Shots of (decent) vodka are 30 rubles each, this is about $1.05. Just because it costs less does not mean you should have three shots after school....believe me. The Russians you are living with will know immediately that you've been drinking, and much hilarity will ensue.

That's it for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home