Tuesday, November 07, 2006

For Moe:

I had a cat, his name was Moe,
And n'er shall I forget;
That fateful day in Burlington,
The day that we first met.

N'er before had I chance to see
Such dignity in a cat;
Humanity in every glance,
As on my lap he sat

Regarded each other, did he and I,
And it was then I knew.
Part of my life, this cat must be,
A boon companion too

We took him home, and from his box,
He burst forth like a gun;
Scaring me and mom half to death,
Wondering what we'd done.

And from that day, a friend we had,
A fat, black, furry creature.
His long, dark, shining, curly tail,
A most unique of features.

And though sometimes, he'd piss us off,
By howling through the night,
We couldn't help but love him,
Such a warm and friendly sight.

But now he's gone to greener fields,
To chase mice through the grass;
And no more shall I hold him,
And feel his bulking mass.

How I shall miss the way he'd sit,
And stare, his eyes agleam.
Then opening his toothless mouth,
To voice a silent scream.

And coming home, I'll never meet,
As through the door I'm heading,
A hungry little fellow there,
Irked, and sternly breading.

I hope that where he is today,
abounds in fish and cheese.
That when he wants, he goes outside,
To lay out in the breeze.

I'm sorry I couldn't be there,
upon that sad, sad day,
To stand right there beside you,
As they sent you on your way.

And so to me, there's nothing left,
It's time to drop the pen.
I'll miss you Moe, my little friend,
One day we'll meet again.




Rest in peace little buddy.

1 Comments:

At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a sweet elegy. My cat died a few weeks ago, I bet they are playing together in heaven.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home