Friday, February 09, 2007

So, I finally beat Russia.

After I lost my phone on New Years, I went to go and buy another one. I found the same one I had before and loved, for not too much money, and a "better" one on sale for slightly more. I opted for the "better" one. Turns out it was a total piece of shit. Not only could I only write very small text messages, think 60 charaters, but the Russian letters on the keys were'nt in the right place. Being super lazy it took me about 20 days to gt around to attempting to return it. When I did I found out that I had only had 14 days to get a refund. I bitched about it as best I could but the man at the store said he was sorry, there was nothing he could do about it. Fuming, I bitched at him more, in poor Russian no doubt, and he finally cracked and gave me a piece of paper that would get the phone fixed for free at a service center. I caved at this point, better a shitty phone that at least works, than a shitty phone I can't use. So I hauled my cookies all the way to the service center, which was a terrifying place I hope I never have to return to, waited in line for about an hour or so, and then gave them my phone to fix. A few days later I went back to get the phone. The nice girl at the desk got it for me, said something really fast, and then gave me a piece of paper. I said thanks, and peaced. On the street I put my SIM card in the phone and tried it out. Fuckers hadn't done anything! Indignant I went back inside to give them a piece of my mind, when an old lady, who had been yelling at the service people, stopped and asked me why I was back, probably looking for some support. She explained that the piece of paper the girl had given me meant that the service people couldn't fix my phone, and that under the warranty I was entitled to a phone from the same store of equal value. I was ecstatic. I triumphantly marched back into the store I had bought the phone at, and demanded a new phone. This time I succeeded. Here's the kicker: I had bought the phone on sale, but the balance I had available at the store was te pre-sale price. So I got the phone I knew and loved from earlier, and used the rest of the balance to put more money on my SIM card, essentially getting a sale price on a phone which was way better, but also cheaper anyway.

Daniel:1 Russia: eight trillion.

So all's well that ends well. School is back in session, we've got a new crew, they're all pretty cool, and life is good. It's cold as a bitch, and everything is covered in slippery snow and ice. I fall daily, cursing loudy, sometimes in Russian, sometimes in English, and sometimes a mixture.
That's all for now, hope all is well to those at home, and abroad.

1 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome!
Nice job lol
I love your blog, check on it everyday.
I plan on doing the same for my last year of study.
I'm in love with russia & the russian language

DannyNextel(AT)gmail(d0t)com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home